Summary of Funding | FHB Forecasting Models | Publications/Reports/Updates
FHB Management (MGMT)
|Chair, Erick De Wolf, Kansas State University|
|Vice-Chair, Don Hershman, University of Kentucky|
|Carl Bradley, University of Illinois|
|Paul Esker, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica|
|Pierce Paul, Ohio State University|
The FHB Management (MGMT) research area supports research to develop effective and economical disease management practices that reduce FHB severity and mycotoxins in small grain crops to meet the immediate and long-term needs of the wheat and barley industries.
This research area involves:
- tillage practices, crop sequences, and other cultural practices targeting Fusarium-infested residues;
- fungicides and biocontrol agents with demonstrated field efficacy, and their application technologies;
- the refinement and deployment of disease prediction and forecasting models, and disease management decision tools; and
- studies of pathogen survival, inoculum production, dispersal, infection, colonization, mycotoxin production, and factors accounting for unacceptable levels of mycotoxins in symptomatic or asymptomatic grain.
NOTE: Priority will be given to multi-PI, collaborative, integrated pre-proposals that address the research priorities listed below. Pre-proposals pertaining to uniform integrated management (IM) trials and uniform fungicide/biocontrol trials (UT) will be developed as multi-PI, collaborative, integrated proposals. Coordinators for those integrated proposals are listed below.
FY12-13 Research Priorities Derived from Action Plan Goals:
- Validate and optimize integrated management strategies for FHB and mycotoxins.
- Help develop and validate the next generation of management tools for FHB and mycotoxin control.
- Develop a full understanding of specific environmental and biological factors influencing infection and toxin accumulation.
- Enhance communication and end user education/outreach.
|MGMT Coordinated Project Leaders|
|Integrated Management Studies (IM)||Uniform Fungicide/Biocontrol Trials (UT)|
1680 Madison Ave.
Dept. of Plant Pathology
Ohio State University
Wooster, OH 44691
PH: (330) 263-3842
|Summary of Funding|
|FY11 (2011-12)||FY12 (2012-13)|
|Number of Projects||40||34|
|Number of PIs||18||17|
|Total Award Amount||$488,628||$467,783|
|% Total Rec. Funding||9.99%||10.58%|
- Report: 2012 Uniform FHB Integrated Management Trials Posted: 4/5/13
- Report: 2012 Uniform Fungicide Trials for Management of FHB and DON Posted: 3/11/13
- Report: 2012 Uniform Tests of Biological Control Agents for Management of FHB and DON Posted: 3/11/13
- Uniform Fusarium Head Blight Integrated Management Trials: A 2011 Update.
- Uniform Fungicide Tests 2011: Effects of Triazole and Strobilurin Fungicides on Fusarium Head Blight and Associated Mycotoxins.
- Best Methods for Applying Fungicide to Grain Heads Using Air-assist Sprayers An NDSU Extension Publication
- Wheat Fusarium Head Blight (FHB) Widespread in Kentucky
Wheat Science News, Vol. 13, Issue 2, 6/4/09
- Report: 2008 USWBSI MGMT Planning Meeting
- Fusarium Head Blight (Scab) of Small Grains An NDSU Extension Publication
- Recent Changes in the Wheat and Barley Foliar Fungicide Status Quo
- KY Granted Crisis Exemption for Folicur (May 2008)
- Fungicidal Control of Fusarium Head Blight (Head Scab) and Deoxynivalenol (DON) in Wheat
- Report: 2007 USWBSI Biocontrol Workshop
- New Publicatin on Aerial Application of Fungicide on FHB
- NDSU Extension Publication Details Fungicide Spraying for Scab [HTML] [PDF]
- Report: 2006 EEDF Workshop - Factors Influencing DON Accumulation in Wheat Heads
- CBCC Integrated Workshop Report - August 10-11, 2006
- Final Report - CBC Application Technology Workshop, February 18-20, 2003
- Histology of Fusarium Head Blight - Selected References
- Report: 2001 Epidemiology Workshop
- Report: 2000 Epidemiology Workshop
- NCR-184 1999 Minnesota State Report - Management of Fusarium Head Blight of Small Grains
- Scab and DON, General Plant Pathology, Mycology, Commodity Related Plant Disease Indices, Crop Genomics
FHB Forecasting Models
- North Dakota State University - http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/cropdisease/cropdisease.htm
- Ohio State University - http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/ohiofieldcropdisease/
- Penn State University- http://www.wheatscab.psu.edu
- South Dakota State University - http://plantsci.sdstate.edu/wheatpath/
- University of Minnesota - http://mawg.cropdisease.com/